Thursday 23 October 2014

Things aren't always great when it rains

I hate prolonged rain.  I hate it because it produces mud, and even with twenty tonnes of hardcore laid out, we still get mud.

It makes crossing from Big Field to Middle Field a slippy, slidey affair.  There is always a good chance that you will lose your footing, and jar your spine or end up sitting on the floor.  And it isn't a nice floor, it's a squelching floor with the added sensory experience of smelling of cow crap...because let's not forget that a few months ago cattle grazed here, and each time it rains a little more of their excrement gets washed down the hill.

Mud makes getting in and out of the caravan annoying.  You have to take muddy wellies off, and most likely, you have to use your hands to pull them off, and, most likely, that mud will end up on your hands.  If you're a Small, you will solve this predicament by wiping your hands down the sides of the wall, or on someone else's coat.  

Rain is good for filling waterbuts and keeping the green, green but oh...I hate mud.

Every time there is a rainstorm, I make a note of somewhere else we need to lay a path, and then I wonder if really what I should have bought was a level Tarmac car park rather than a squelchy hillside with added poop.

So, although I am sunshine and rainbows most of the time, when it has rained for more than two days I'm afraid I become the foreteller of doom, and a teeny tiny voice in my head whispers that I am
Not cut out for this offgrid life, and I should just scuttle off back to normality.  I mean, if a bit of rain can knock me down....what will a whiner like me do when it snows??

No comments:

Post a Comment